The United Methodist Church shares a common history and heritage with other Methodist and Wesleyan bodies. The lives and ministries of John Wesley (1703–1791) and of his brother, Charles (1707–1788), mark the origin of their common roots. Both John and Charles were Church of England missionaries to the colony of Georgia, arriving in March 1736. The Church has endeavored to become a community in which all persons, regardless of racial or ethnic background, can participate in every level of its connectional life and ministry. The United Methodist Church represents the confluence of three streams of tradition: Methodism, the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, and The Evangelical Association. With other churches that are also members of the body of Christ, it humbly and gratefully offers up its praise to God through Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit for creating and sustaining grace. It seeks further grace as it ministers to the world.
On Thanksgiving Eve, Nov. 27, 1889, Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church on Pearl Street, just off Main Street in Millville, opened its doors for worship. Known as SECOND M.P. (Methodist Protestant) CHURCH 1889-1915 in an area of Millville known at the time as Mount Pleasant. An early handwritten history of the church reads this way: “Under the leadership of the Rev. Joseph Hopkins of the First Methodist Protestant Church of Millville, a small group of men and women formed a class and met at the home of Amos Facemire on Pearl St, Mount Pleasant, in the spring of the year 1889.
“As these meetings grew in interest and members, Brother Facemire gave them his parlor to use. This was filled up and services were held here until it became too small, so this group of men and women decided to build a House of Worship. This was made possible through private subscriptions and the help of the Brethern of the church. “The church was built and the first meeting was held in it on Thanksgiving Eve 1889. The following Sunday morning Rev. Hopkins organized the Sabbath School with Benjamin F. Doran as Superintendent. Mr. Doran held this office for 28 years. Brother John H. Budd was elected Class Leader and Prayer Leader also as we were without a Pastor at that time.
”In the late 1930s, several Methodist denominations, including the Methodist Protestants and the Methodist Episcopals, joined together and became The Methodist Church, and the Second Methodist Protestant Church of Mount Pleasant became the Mount Pleasant Methodist Church. Then in the late 1960s, the Evangelical United Brethren Church and The Methodist Church were “wed” and became “one” — The United Methodist Church; hence, Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church, which it remains to this day.